Keto Pizza Casserole with Pepperoni & Zucchini
Free from refined sugar, gluten, nuts and eggs.
Keto, low carb, paleo, organic.
PREP TIME: 15 MINS | COOK TIME: 20 MINS | SERVINGS: 6
Substitute the traditional pizza base for this amazing zucchini pizza casserole with ground beef for Father's Day lunch or dinner. It's super easy to put together and will take no longer than 35 minutes of prep and cooking time. If you're craving pizza, but don't want the gluten to damage your gut, this pizza casserole with zucchini is your best option.
- Large mixing bowl
- 13 inch (33 cm) x 9 inch (22cm) baking dish
- Large skillet
- Baking or parchment paper
- 1 tablespoon organic, extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 340g organic premium ground Beef or preservative-free Italian sausage
- 50g zucchini trimmed, unpeeled, sliced in 1-inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon organic garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon organic Italian seasoning - or organic Italian herbs (oregano, basil and thyme) no sugar added
- 1 1/2 cups organic tomato sauce or tomato passata, no sugar added
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella or half parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese
- 50g pepperoni slices
- 1/3 cup organic black olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup organic green capsicum, chopped
All the above ingredients can be found both online and in our store located at 47 Maroubra Road, Maroubra.
Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 13 inch (33 cm) x 9 inch (22cm) baking dish with oil spray or butter. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or slow cooker (choose a pan that is big enough to fit all the zucchinis and meat, about 6 litres/24 cups).
- Add minced onion and cook until fragrant and translucent.
- Add ground beef - crumbling the beef is the best to create small pieces of meat, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Cook beef for 2 minutes until cooked through.
- Stir in zucchini slices (or grated zucchini) and tomato sauce. Cover the saucepan and simmer for 3-4 minutes until the sauce forms bubbles on the side of the pan.
Assemble the Casserole
- Remove from heat and transfer one layer of zucchini beef mixture in the prepared baking dish.
- Add shredded mozzarella and continue layers until the pan is full.
- Cover the top of the dish with remaining mozzarella cheese then add pepperoni slices, sliced olives, and green capsicum. Be creative and add more variety of cheese or meat like ham, chicken or cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Cool baked casserole for 5 minutes before serving and avoid burning yourself.
- Divide the whole dish into 6 even portions and serve one portion per meal as a breakfast or dinner.
- Cool baked casserole before storing in the fridge, in an airtight container or freeze in individual portions.
- Defrost in the fridge the day before and rewarm in a sauce an under medium heat or in the microwave.
You're welcome :)