Organic Lamb Shank & Lima Bean Soup
Free from sugar, grain, gluten, dairy & eggs.
Keto, low carb, paleo, organic.
PREP TIME: 15-20MINS | COOK TIME: 2HOURS | SERVES 4-6
Warm up winter weeknights with this slow-cooker (or use 6L pot or casserole dish to supplement) – it's packed with loads of organic goodness, warming spices and tender lamb shanks, plus it's calorie and gluten-free.
Soup is one of my go-to’s for a healthy and satisfying lunch in winter; even in autumn and spring. You can easily make a big pot and portion some out to freeze for meals on the go during the week . This recipe is ideal to do on the weekend when you're meal prepping and it can simmer away on the stove or in an instant pot for a couple of hours.
- Medium bowl
- Large saucepan
- Large instant pot OR 6L stove pot
- 1 cup (200g) dried Lima beans (or substitute organic chick peas)
- 2 tablespoons of certified organic, extra virgin olive oil
- 750g certified organic lamb shanks
- 2 certified organic, medium brown onions (300g)
- 1 certified organic, garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp certified organic cumin powder
- 2 tsp certified organic yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tsp certified organic sweet paprika
- 1 tsp certified organic ground coriander
- 2 certified organic medium carrots (240g)
- 2 certified organic celery stalks, trimmed (200g)
- 2 cups certified organic chicken stock/broth (1L total)
- 2 cups of filtered water (1L total)
- 1 can certified organic whole peeled tomatoes (400g) if you want to thicken the sauce use a further 200g of passata or another can of tomatoes
- 1/4 cup certified organic coriander (or substitute with dill)
- 1/4 cup certified organic parsley
All the above ingredients can be found both online and in our store located at 47 Maroubra Road, Maroubra.
- In medium bowl, cover with beans water; stand overnight, drain.
- In large saucepan, heat oil. Cook lamb shanks, until browned; remove from pan. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery to same pan; cook, stirring, until softened.
- Add garlic, cumin, mustard, paprika and coriander. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. If using a 6L pot switch to the points below; if using a instant pot continue through to points 4-5.
- **If using a slow cooker** transfer veggie mixture to slow cooker. Stir in tomato, chickpeas, stock and water. Cover. Cook on low for 6 hours 30 minutes.
- Transfer lamb to a bowl. Once cool enough to handle, shred meat and discard bones. Return meat to slow cooker. Cover. Cook for a further 20 minutes. Season. Serve with yoghurt, if using.
If Using a 6L Pot or Casserole Dish Continue Here from Point 3:
- Put water and stock in your 6L pot or casserole dish on medium heat
- Return lamb to pot with drained beans, stock and water and all your spices in the pan; bring to the boil. Simmer, covered, 1 hour, when the carrots are cooked its ready.
- Remove lamb shanks from pan. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones, shred lamb. Return lamb to pot.
- Optional: Serve with toasted pita bread or greek or natural yoghurt, if desired.