Organic, Crustless, Keto Zucchini Quiche
Free from sugar, grain and dairy.
Keto, low carb, vegetarian, organic.
PREP TIME: 10 MINS | COOK TIME: 40 MINS | SERVINGS: 6-8
A crustless zucchini quiche is a delicious way to utilise an abundance of left-over zucchinis. This vegetarian quiche is very low carb so it’s also perfect for keto diets.
At first the thought of using zucchini in a quiche is risky, because it might be watery, but the delicate zucchini flavour blends perfectly with the Mediterranean herbs, vegetables and mellow saltiness from the feta cheese. It really is a winning combination. And ditching the crust is another reason why this means this meal is low carb and sugar free.
- Large mixing bowl
- Several medium-sized bowls
- Large frying pan
- 9-inch pie or cake tin
- Parchment/baking paper
- 1 tsp certified organic, extra virgin olive oil or butter
- 1/2 cup certified organic red onion, chopped
- 2 tsp (1 large clove) certified organic garlic, minced
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup certified organic, unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 4 certified organic eggs
- 2 tbsp grated organic Parmesan cheese (+ extra for topping)
- 3 tbsp organic coconut flour, sifted
- 3 tbsp organic tapioca starch or non-GMO cornstarch
- 1 tsp organic baking powder
- 1/4 tsp organic, fine sea salt
- 1 tsp organic paprika
- 1 cup certified organic, chopped/sliced zucchini, divided
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1 red, certified organic, capsicum pepper, roasted and diced (fresh and roasted in oven or roasted)
- Fresh organic basil for garnish.
- Optional organic black pepper, to season.
All the above ingredients can be found both online and in our store located at 47 Maroubra Road, Maroubra.
Grease or line a 9-inch pie or cake pan with parchment paper.
- Coat small skillet with 1 tsp butter or oil. Add onion and garlic to the pan and cook over medium to medium high for 5 minutes (or until fragrant). Set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl or bowl of stand mixer, add milk, eggs, and Parmesan cheese. Whisk/blend until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift the coconut flour, then add tapioca flour, spices, salt, baking powder. Mix together.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the blended egg/milk batter. Whisk together until smooth.
- Layer your onion and garlic at the bottom of the pie pan.
- Layer 2/3 cup zucchini on top, roasted capsicum slices, and 1/3 cup feta crumbles.
- Evenly pour the egg/flour mixture into your prepared pie or cake pan. Add remaining zucchini slices and cheese on top (Parmesan and/or feta)
- Bake at 200 degrees for 35 -45 minutes. Check at 25 minutes for doneness. The edges will be crispy brown and a knife or toothpick inserted into the centre of the quiche will come out clean. Check the middle to make sure it’s no longer soft.
- When the crustless quiche is finished cooking, remove it from the oven and garnish with fresh basil before serving.