Gluten-Free Avocado and Broccoli Pizza with Cauliflower Crust
PREP & COOKING TIME: 40 minutes | SERVES 2
Have you ever tried pizza with a cauliflower crust? No? Then you must try this 5-ingredient, gluten-free crust, which crisps up like no other cauliflower crust; topped with vegan “cheese,” avocado and various super-green vegetables.
Conventional pizza recipes tend to be very heavy on refined grains, flour and gluten which is toxic, hence why our cruciferous friend, the cauliflower has been re-imagined as a pizza base adding almond flour, organic olive oil, oregano, egg, and a bit of Himalayan pink salt to round out the flavour.
We even found a recipe that features dairy-free, vegan cheese which comes in the form of soaked cashews, fresh basil, and olive oil, making a creamy and herbaceous spread to adorn our gluten-free pizza crust.
Add the final touches include the topping with roasted broccoli and kale, plus avocado and more basil.
Life without pizza is hard, so here is the perfect solution. This Paleo, gluten-free pizza recipe will leave you feeling healthy and satisfied afterwards instead of bloated and tired, because that’s what toxic food does.
For the Crust
- 1 1/2 cups of riced cauliflower (which is made from steaming the organic cauliflower then putting them into the food processor – see below)
- 1 cup of organic almond flour
- 1 organic egg
- 1 teaspoon of organic oregano
- 1 teaspoon of Himalayan pink salt
For the Cashew Basil Cheese
- 1 cup of soaked organic cashews (see instructions below)
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 6 leaves of organic basil
- 1/4 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of shredded organic kale
- 1/2 organic avocado
- 1/4 cup minced organic basil
- 1/2 cup organic broccoli florets
How to make the Crust
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius. (Add pizza stone to oven if you have one.)
- Steam your organic cauliflower by filling the bottom of a pot with 2 inches of water. Set up the steamer basket on top and add in the riced cauliflower. Cover with a lid and steam over medium-high heat for about 5-7 minutes using fork tender test.
- Add steamed cauliflower to the food processor, run for a few seconds, remove from food processor and squeeze excess water out with cheesecloth or a dish towel.
- Thoroughly mix cauliflower, almond flour, oregano, salt, and egg in a bowl.
- Put the mixture between two pieces of parchment paper and press flat until about 1/4-inch thick.
- Place the cauliflower dough, on top of the parchment paper, onto a baking sheet (or preheated pizza stone).
- Bake at 190 degrees Celsius for 7-10 minutes or until a slight crisp has formed.
How to make Cashew Basil Cheese
- Soak the cashews in purified water for at least 4 hours and up to 12. To soak, just place the cashews in a bowl and cover with water by an inch, then cover and soak at room temp up to 4 hours and put in the refrigerator if soaking overnight. If you’re in a hurry you can soak them for 15 minutes in very hot but not boiling water. To use the hot water method, boil water then remove it from the heat for two minutes, then pour over the cashews.
- Add cashews, salt, basil, and oil to a food processor and blend until smooth in consistency.
- Spread a thin layer of the mixture over the crust.
How to make Roasted Veggies
- Add shredded kale, broccoli and avocado on top of the lathered crust.
- Drizzle with more olive oil.
- Reduce oven temp to 150 degrees Celsius and cook for 10-15 minutes.
Nutritional Information (per 2 slice serving):
Saturated Fat: 5.5g
Vitamin A: 16mg
Vitamin C: 52mg