Cleansing Ginger, Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup
TOTAL TIME: Prep Time 5mins + 35mins Cook Time | Serves 4
Soup is a warming, satisfying and nutritious meal, provided it is made with the right ingredients. In this case the “right” ingredients include wholefoods as well as organic produce that enhance the metabolism and are anti-inflammatory such as turmeric, cayenne pepper, coconut oil and garlic.
Carrots are rich in beta-carotene (pre-vitamin A), K1, C and calcium, but are only recommended in moderation because of their natural sugar content. It’s all about a healthy balance.
Sweet potatoes are an anti-oxidant and bet-carotene, which help ward off free-radicals that damage cells through oxidation which makes us vulnerable to disease. It also reduces inflammation in the brain and nerve tissue throughout your body.
Onions are naturally rich in sulfur-containing compounds and phytochemicals that boost bone health, protect against cancer and diabetes.
Garlic is one of the most potent antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral and immune boosting foods you can consume. It also contains sulfur compounds such as allicin, which provides its strong smell, flavonoids, arginine-rich proteins and oligosaccharides. It is named as one of the top seven anti-aging foods you can consume.
And unlike canned soups you won’t find any nasty ingredients such as food starch, potassium chloride, soy protein, isolate, colouring, monosodium glutamate (MSG) – just organic wholefoods.
It’s super easy to prepare and make in large quantities so you can enjoy your soup all week.
- Large Stock Pot
- Immersion blender
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil
- 1 cup diced organic onion
- 1 tablespoon minced organic garlic
- 1.25kg organic sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 3 organic carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon of chopped, organic coriander
- ½ teaspoon organic cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon of organic turmeric
- 1 teaspoon (or tablespoon) of shredded, organic ginger
- 1 tablespoon of dried organic oregano
- Himalayan Pink sea salt to taste
- Heat large stock pot over medium-high heat with organic coconut oil. Once pot is hot, add onions, Himalayan pink sea salt and garlic.
- Stir vegetable broth, sweet potatoes, carrot, ginger, coriander, tumeric, cayenne pepper, and dried herbs into onion mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Remove stock pot from heat and blend soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Season with ground black pepper as necessary and add parsley, coriander, basil, peppermint or spring onions for final seasoning to serve.
You can double the ingredients and refrigerate within two hours of cooking in airtight containers. Side note: adding cream to soup can make it curdle, and we don’t recommend dairy in any instance. If kept in the freezer will last for 4-6 months.