Gluten Free, Organic Sweet Potato Fries
TOTAL TIME: 60 mins | SERVES: 3-6
Sweet potatoes are a great non-starchy carb, plus they contain more vitamin C than regular potatoes, which our bodies need and utilise every day.
When sweet potatoes really come into their own is when they’re cut into wedges and baked into crispy fries. Seasoned with paprika, cayenne pepper or turmeric powder, these fries are spiced and sweet all at once, and far healthier than the shop-bought ones. Plus, they’re organic and a real favourite with the kids, so get them to help you make them, too.
You'll never look back once you try them.
There are only 5 ingredients and it's are so simple to make! And the best part? They are healthy!
Recipe by Dr Josh Axe, Functional Medicine
Sweet potatoes are loaded with nutrients--antioxidants, potassium, vitamin B6, fibre and more.
- 700g organic sweet potatoes, chopped into strips about 1/2” wide
- ½ tsp. Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp. organic paprika, cayenne pepper or turmeric powder
- ½ tsp. organic cinnamon
- ¼ cup grapeseed or organic coconut oil or organic grass-fed butter
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees.
- Peel potatoes and cut into strips about 1/2” wide on each side.
- Place all ingredients in sealable plastic bag and shake until potatoes are completely coated.
- Place seasoned sweet potatoes in large glass bowl.
- Cook for 30-45 minutes, turning every 10 minutes.
- Transfer immediately to a paper towel-lined plate and serve warm.
Health Benefits: Sweet Potatoes: packed with vitamins, minerals, fibre, full of phytonutrients, including beta carotene, which helps the body with free radical damage, promotes anti-aging, and fights cancer and heart disease, as well as Vitamin B6, which promotes energy in the body. Paprika: filled with antioxidants Celtic sea salt: full of minerals and trace minerals, especially magnesium, calcium, and chloride Cinnamon helps balance blood sugar levels, prevent diabetes, energy, high in antioxidants Grapeseed oil: contains higher heat threshold, does not oxidize.